Saturday, December 5, 2015

Just Desserts!

As you all know. I LOVE COOKING!

The holidays are the perfect time to share your love and delicious creations with family. I love it because I have some great cooks in my family and I love their input. 

In the last few weeks I have been able to do a few things I have never done.

I have made many cupcakes, but never a real cake!
I am pretty sure my cupcakes were how I won Todd's heart.
When we were newly dating, on Thursdays during college my classes ended around 11am so I would always come home and make Todd and his housemate the most unique cupcakes.

A few I remember:
Mtn Dew Cupcakes with Code Red Frosting
Guinness Cupcakes with Irish Cream Frosting (the decided favorite)
Cookie Dough Cupcakes with Buttercream
Margarita Cupcakes with Lime Frosting

Yumm!  

Anyway,
Todd's birthday was the week before thanksgiving. I asked him what he wanted for his B-day, he said nothing. well, that's just silly so I told him I would make him German Chocolate Cake!
He LOVES German Chocolate Cake. I even surprised him on our wedding day with the top tier of the cake being made special for his love of GCK. So this was kind of a special task for me.

Little did I know, I picked a pretty intense cake to be my first.
Intense, but amazing and yummy!

German Chocolate Cake
Yield: 12-16 servings

Ingredients

For the cake:
2 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
6 tbsp. water
4 large eggs, separated
16 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1½ cups sugar, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the rum syrup:
1 cup water
¾ cup sugar
2 tbsp. dark rum
For the filling:
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sugar
3 large egg yolks
6 tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
½ tsp.  salt
1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
1 1/3 cups unsweetened coconut, toasted
For the icing:
8 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp. light corn syrup
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream

Step by step Instructions

I was a little afraid of the rum syrup, but, honestly the more the merrier. It keeps the cake moist and scrumptious!
and the icing I refrigerated for nearly an hour, so I could decorate with it easier.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment